Friday, July 24, 2015

2014 Career Change!

Another year+ absence from blogging and another compelling reason to be distracted.  2014 was the year of my career change from long-time IT Manager to my dream job: Outdoor Guide.

IT career sailing into the sunset
Ditching the security blanket of a 'day job' is tricky but supportive family makes a world of difference.  Within a month of resigning I collected a handful of relevant certificates, made some contacts and landed a couple of positions.

Leaving Devonport
While I have always desired overnight bushwalk guiding an even stronger desire to come home to wife and children each night directed the opportunities available.  Enter Tasmanian Walking Company and Tours Tasmania as the employers who have spring-boarded my new career.  Nine months in, I feel confident enough to call the transition a success.

Arriving in Hobart
As a surprise twist, soon after embarking upon the career change, family circumstances (don't ask) strongly influenced a move from my comfort zone of north-west Tasmania to the big smoke, Hobart.  It was not hard to agree.  I have always been an admirer of the capital city which so brilliantly combines the best of Tassie's environments all within cooee of the CBD.

A short trail run from our new house on our first morning in Hobart (and also our first wedding anniversary)
So...
Blogger-fodder should be easy to come by now.  Let's see how we go.

No comments: